[vc_row type=”in_container” full_screen_row_position=”middle” scene_position=”center” text_color=”dark” text_align=”left” overlay_strength=”0.3″][vc_column column_padding=”no-extra-padding” column_padding_position=”all” background_color_opacity=”1″ background_hover_color_opacity=”1″ width=”1/1″ tablet_text_alignment=”default” phone_text_alignment=”default”][image_with_animation image_url=”4388″ alignment=”” animation=”Fade In” box_shadow=”none” max_width=”100%”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row type=”in_container” full_screen_row_position=”middle” scene_position=”center” text_color=”dark” text_align=”left” overlay_strength=”0.3″][vc_column column_padding=”no-extra-padding” column_padding_position=”all” background_color_opacity=”1″ background_hover_color_opacity=”1″ width=”1/1″ tablet_text_alignment=”default” phone_text_alignment=”default”][vc_column_text]‘Ramya Sadasivam possess a Post Graduate Diploma in Management and has a degree in B.Tech, Biotechnology.’
Well those degrees have nothing to do with what I do right now!
I am a full time artist from Chennai, and also undertakes freelance projects. My work involves practicing art, doing customized works and applying for awards.
As a self-learning artist, I have a flair for art since my childhood. I found the drawings in the record notebooks very interesting that none of my record notebook drawings went without a little decoration or shading. I tried to pursue B.A. Fine Arts, but was not quite determined. Art is an addiction. Whether I studied it or not, it was vested within me as a dormant form. It is not dormant anymore, and none of my days are elapsing without a practice sketch.
Memory of wanting to be an artist
Back in my high school days, I use to observe my mother doing a water color work. She did a painting of the princess with a crown. She has a natural talent for artworks and craft. I found it very interesting and I wanted to try it. So there I started! My first one was a pencil work. I did some skeleton and added few shading for my first work. It was pretty ordinary. Slowly my practice started and I realized that I can able to do this completely. This is something I shall realise when I look back. My painting reflects my emotions, and I paint whenever I feel annoyed or depressed or frustrated. It’s a therapy that cools me off completely. What was once my hobby, is now a platform for me to make my living and also an identity.
When I was in my high school days, I used to watch when my mother did her artwork. As a young girl, I used to fiddle with something in my hand and loosely run around her. She never burdened me with any household work and I had enough time to be independent. I was free and my observation skills sharpened. My drawing master ‘Ibrahim’ did few sketches and he used one of the students in our class as a model and asked us to draw him/her.
Some of the other childhood inspirations came from my fellow mates like Stephen and Imran. They were the boys from North India who stayed in our school hostel for their studies. I am happy to say that I am still in touch with them and they are happy about my growth.
My most favorite medium is oil on Canvas/Masonite board and sometimes pencil too. Favorite subject would be anything like capturing emotions of individuals. I want my art to convey some sort of story be it big or small.
How do I work and approach my paintings?
Usually I do my paintings with a reference in my hand. I go around on tours now and then. There can be nothing as beautiful as villages in our country. I do a sketch in the tours. I also take photographs (a lot of them). I take reference both from rough paintings and photographs too. This would be the technical aspect of approaching a subject.
On looking at psychological aspect, I do not want to paint a posing man or woman. According to me, everything should be natural. I am a big fan of genuine emotions. When couple of individuals, be it two humans or one human and an animal or two animals exist in place together; they do not fail to entertain you. There is some sort of non-verbal communication (sometimes verbal too) which woos me immensely. I consider myself a secret admirer of the situation and I try to capture their emotions. Even when an individual is alone or doing some errand or praying, there is some sort of sincerity that he/she displays towards the situation or the work he/she does. That is something I always like to admire and hence capture.
My Favourite Artists
- SM Panditji from India
- Vladimir Volegov
- Serge Marshinikkov
- Jeremy Lipking
- Cesar Santos
- Daniel Gerhartz
Few of my painting stroke recognition’s
- Prafulla Dahanukar Award for Kalanand Contest 2016 “Tamil Nadu Best Artist 2016”
- Spandan Best Artist Award, April 2016 (Small National Award)
- Prafulla Dahanukar Award for Kalanand Contest 2017 “Chennai City Award Best Artist 2017”
- 27 Artpoint Best Painting Award 2017
- Camlin National Award Nomination 2016 (National Recognition)
- Tamil Nadu Tourism State Level Painting Nomination 2017
- Nirmaaan Art Foundation Best Painting Nomination 2017
- Artreoin Best Painting Nomination 2017
- Group Exhibition South Indian Art Exhibition, April 2014
- Solo Art Exhibition in Lalit Kala Akademi, Sittralaigalin Oorvalam, May 2014
- Solo Art Exhibition in Ramada Hotel International, May 2014
- Solo Art Exhibition in Ramada Hotel International, July 2014
- Solo Art Exhibition in Ramada Hotel International, September 2014
- Group Show in Lalit Kala Akademi, Conceptualists, March, 2015, Curated by Thara Ganesan
- Group Show in Vinyasa Art Gallery, Affordable Art Show, May, 2015
- Solo Art Exhibition in Ramada Hotel International, July 2015
- Solo Art Exhibition in Ramada Hotel International, August 2015
- Solo Art Exhibition in Ramada Hotel International, December 2015
- Chitramela Group Show, February 2016
- Artmart at Mylapore Park, March, 2016
- Spandan Art, Group Show, Mumbai, April 2016
- Group Show at Art Factory, Curated by Ganesh, July 2016
- Group Exhibition Vinyasa Art Gallery, April 2014
- Group Exhibition South Indian Art Exhibition, May 2016
- Group Exhibition Vijaya Forum Mall, August 2014
An interview with Dinamalar
A small interview by WAC (World Art Centre)
An Interview with Prafulla Dahanukar Organisation
My art Exhibition at Lalit Kala Akademi telecasted by Raj Music